Waverley has everything to offer the steam enthusiast. At the heart of the Ship is her magnificent 2100 horsepower, triple expansion reciprocating steam engine, open to full public view.
Watch the Chief or 2nd Engineer operate the engine as we arrive and depart from piers on your cruise. The Engineer on watch will be able to answer any technical questions you may have (if he is not too busy!).
Also visible through portholes in the ship’s hull are Waverley’s famous paddle wheels, hear the clang of the telegraph as the Captain sends instructions to turn the paddles ahead or astern. View Waverley’s Engine Room here.
On deck, the crew operate Waverley’s steam powered Windlass at the bow and the Capstan aft as the ship arrives and berths at the piers we visit.
Almost all of Waverley’s machinery including the steering and all the main pumps are powered by steam from her two massive oil fired boilers.
Passenger Paddle Steamer. Construction: Riveted steel. Hull designed by A&J Inglis at Glasgow in 1946 Built 1947 by A. & J. Inglis Ltd. at Pointhouse, Glasgow Fit out 1947 by A&J Inglis at Glasgow LOA: 240′ 0″, Beam: 58′ 0″, Draft: 6′ 0″, Displacement: 1524600 lbs. Hull Number 1330P. The ‘P’ signifies the Pointhouse yard as A&J Inglis was by that time part of Harland and Wolff in Belfast. Originally certificated to carry 1350 passengers. With almost 70 years of updates to worldwide passenger carrying regulations and safety policies in place, Waverley’s carrying capacity has gradually been reduced and she can now carry up to 860 passengers.
3 pass wetback reversal chamber Designed by Cochran of Annan, Built 2000 by Cochran of Annan at Annan Fuel: Oil, Pressure: 180 psi, Output: 22500 lbs/hr, 105″ dia X 199″ long Steel barrel. 184 X 2″ dia Steel tubes. Welded with rolled in fire tubes construction, condensing, forced draft fan, steam feed pump, electric feed pump, feed water heater, whistle, Originally fitted with a double ended Scotch boiler, this was replaced in 1981 with a Babcock Steambloc boiler. This was then replaced in 2000 with two Cochran Thermax boilers fitted with Hamworthy Electrotec rotary cup burners. The boilers are fully automatic but can be manually fired if ever required.
Diagonal Triple Expansion. 24″ + 39″ + 62″ X 66″ Built 1947 by Rankin & Blackmore Ltd. at Greenock Design: Paddle Inside PV on HP. Outside PV on MP. Bal SV on LP valve. Stephenson valve gear. Power: 2100 HP Engine Number 520. Normal service speed of 13 knots at 44 rpm. Maximum speed 18 knots at 57 rpm. Shell and tube surface condenser. Full set of steam auxiliaries.
8 Feathering floats. 216″ diameter, 132″ wide. Each paddle float is 36″ deep. There are always two full floats worth in the water at any one time. Each float is 33 square feet in area.